Friday, January 7, 2011

Your lousy son.

If you think the movie Wall Street 2: Money Never Sleeps is nice, you probably haven't watch the old Wall Street 1987 yet. This masterpiece of Oliver Stone made me sufferred for few days - cried, insomnia, think, rethink, confuse, lost and found.

Why? Because I found the main character named Bud Fox reflects myself in many ways.Wall Street 1987 features Charlie Sheen as a young stockbroker (Bud Fox) desperate to succeed and a wealthy but unscrupulous corporate raider (Michael Douglas) whom he idolizes.

Being an eldest and only son in the family especially in a Chinese-typed, I keep hypnotize myself; be strong and ambitious. Just like Bud Fox,desperate to get to the top. He schemes to become involved with his hero, the extremely successful but unscrupulous corporate raider Gordon Gekko (Michael Douglas).

Carl Fox, a father that doesn't expect much from his son by saying "Money's only something you need in case you don't die tomorrow". Similarly, my dad once told me "I would be relieved if you can feed yourself without my help". In the story, Gekko is a ruthless and legendary Wall Street player whose values couldn't conflict more with those of Bud's father (Martin Sheen). So caught in the middle is Bud, who pitches his father's company to Gekko with the intentions of saving it while everyone gets rich in the process.

The killer moment in the movie that made me cried was the quarrel between Bud and Carl:

Carl Fox: He's using you, kid. He's got your prick in his back pocket, but you're too blind to see it.
Bud Fox: No. What I see is a jealous old machinist who can't stand the fact that his son has become more successful than he has!
Carl Fox: What you see is a guy who never measured a man's success by the size of his WALLET!
Bud Fox: That's because you never had the GUTS to go out into the world and stake your own claim!
[Long Pause]
Carl Fox: Boy, if that's the way you feel, I must have done a really lousy job as a father.


There was a time when the whole world was my enemy. I blame myself for being an eldest, yet most useless son. Why my dad is not a wealthy man. Why should I carry the responsibity to take care of the family when my dad retired. I gave up my studies for SPM. I became lazy. But I never give up on one thing - the smile you shown when I passed my PTS. That was the smile that I wouldn't feel bored despite watching it for thousand times.
Dad, I know I've been a lousy son. I know I'm sucks in whatever things that I've tried.
I don't know whether I would get rich in future. Nor I will success in whatever undertakings. But, you know what, I love you. I love you so much.



No comments:

Post a Comment